Saturday, April 11, 2009

9. What does it mean to be human?

The characters in this novel are blind to the fact that the "monster" so to speak, has more human qualities, than the regular humans. Although he was made in an unnatural way, his humanity is more natural than that of many of the characters in this book. In my opinion, to be human is to possess the ability to reason. Another human quality is the ability to gain more knowledge, whether it's about ourselves or the world. We are always asking ourselves, where did we come from? who am I? Why am I here? Another very important aspect of being human is having moral behavior. We know when something is right or wrong and we sometimes act against the wrong act. All of these characteristics differ us form the animal race. Animals do not weild these characteristics and that is what makes them animals. Animals can not reason with each other, nor do they ask themselves where they came from. They just go through life as nature intended. The monster, I'll call him Simon, possess all of these characteristics until he is tainted by the so called human race. Simon's ability to reason is portrayed when he encounters with Victor for the second time. As Victor sees him he call him a devil, but Simon remains calm and tries to reason with Victor. He says, "If you will comply with my conditions, I will leave them and you at peace (68)." He says this in a calm manner yet Victor still attacked him like a vicious animal. Victor's "rage was without bounds; [he] sprang on him (68)." The creature who looks more like an animal is acting more human than the actual human.

Simon also possess the ability to gain more knowlege. Much like a human being, he asked himself, " My person was hideous and my stature gigantic. What did this mean? Who was I? What was I? Whence did I come? What was my destinaition? (91)"

Simon also engages in a moral act when he saves the young girl from drowning. From what I have read, this so called monster is more human than even the humans in this novel. The only thing that makes him unhuman to others is his appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment